Google

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

HFMD in childcare

Was informed by the childcare that there are 5 cases of HFMD last week & so happened that Allyson is having running nose, I decided to let her stay at home & only sending her back to childcare on Wednesday.

Received a call from her teacher this morning & was told that there are additional 4 cases yesterday & the 3 cases were found in the afternoon when these kids are in the childcare centre. Upon hearing this, I decided to let her stay at home till end of this week & to my surprise, I received an email from the childcare stating that there are 11 cases since 26 Mar 2007 & they will be arranging a cold fogging and fumigation on this coming Saturday. OMG, this really shocked me.

Immediately I responded to the teacher, Principal & the Operation Manager that I will only send Allyson back to the childcare the following Monday after the cleanup & was curious why the fogging and fumigation was not carried out immediately and exposing our kids to the viruses though I understand that not all parents are able to make the necessary arrangement.

Information gathered from their replies are :

1. After the fogging & fumigation, it does not mean that the virus will be eliminated 100% or break the chain of transmission. - This makes me reconsider my decision to send Allyson back to the childcare on coming Monday.

2. If there are new cases of transmission, there will be a high chance of closing the centre. - I would raise both hands to support even if the childcare is to close now then exposing my child to the viruses.

3. They do not wish to cause inconvenience to parents by giving short notice & some parents would be unable to take leave.

4. For the fogging and fumigation to be at the most effective, we should allow sufficient time for the aerial disinfectant to take effect and eradicate the viruses under an undisturbed, controlled, and enclosed environment and for more than 24 hours. Thus, leaving our centre unoccupied for 2 consecutive days (Saturday and Sunday) would be most effective. Hence, if we were to
commence the fogging and fumigation over a weekday and insolating the premises for only about 24 hours or so, the effectiveness of the aerial disinfectant via fogging and fumigation may be compromised.
- I would say this is the most acceptable reason but I believed no parents would like their child to be exposed to the virus & not acting on it. Got to believe our children are in good hands!!!

2 comments:

Cuisine Paradise said...

Wow.. scary sia... seems that this HFMD is coming back again.. i heard my friend staying in Tampiness said that her daughter childcare also got a few students got it last week..... :(

Chin Family of 6 said...

Yalor, my teamlead's daughter just got it also.